Rayo Vallecano makes Getafe’s exile in the metropolis even sadder | Soccer | Sports

The League opened its doors in 2024 at the Metropolitano. The Atlético stadium was the scene of a strange match. It was not Atlético who played the role of host, but rather Getafe, tenant of the premises for a trying day. A sentence was handed down to the southern Madrid team which condemned him to a day of exile for the acts of violence unleashed during a pitch invasion during the final of the playoffs promotion he played in 2017 against Tenerife. Six years after a long legal process, this specific decision was imposed, which Getafe experienced with shock. In an exercise in rigor, referee Jorge Figueroa Vázquez sent off three players, the first before the break. Favored by the numerical advantage, Rayo won after seven days without a victory. 11,000 spectators watched it, less than a quarter of capacity.


David Soria, Damián Suárez (Omar Alderete, min. 69), Diego Rico, Djene (Mitrovic, min. 77), Gastón Álvarez (Aleñá, min. 68), Maksimovic, Mata (José Ángel Carmona, min. 57), Mason Greenwood, Luis Milla (Enes Ünal, min. 69), Juan Latasa and Mayoral


Dimitrievski, Luis Espino (Josep Chavarría, min. 45), Lejeune, Balliu, Aridane, De Frutos (Bebé, min. 86), Unai López (Pathé Ciss, min. 57), Isi, Óscar Valentín, Sergio Camello (Falcao, min. 74) and Kike (Nteka, min. 45)

Goals 0-1 min. 46: Sergio Camello.

Arbitrator Jorge Figueroa Vazquez

Yellow cards Luis Espino (min. 3), Djene (min. 19), Juan Latasa (min. 22), Kike (min. 38), Mata (min. 54), Damián Suárez (min. 69), Omar Alderete (min. 69). 82) and Pathé Ciss (min. 90)

red cards Mason Greenwood (min. 50)

Both teams entered the field surrounded by a damp, sticky fog. El Rayo, stimulated by the results crisis. “Intensity in every game! “Intensity for 90 minutes!” shouted the captains in the locker room, before leaving. Getafe, driven by their natural disposition to frenzy, defends far from their area and prevents the game from getting out of control with each split ball. Each on their line, both teams played well. Milla managed the timing on one side in search of the attacker Latasa, while Isi Palazón and Kike Pérez worked out the attacks on the other side. With much merit. It’s not easy to play between the lines against Getafe and between Isi and Kike they weaved vertical back-and-forths that loosened the legs of the rival pivots and central defenders. A shot from Isi, cleared by David Soria, alarmed the tenants of the Metropolitano.

El Rayo traveled to San Blas surrounded by problems. He went seven games without scoring three points; Óscar Trejo and Álvaro García, probably their most disruptive players, remained injured; Raúl de Tomas, his nine more prestigious, he was excluded from the team after a season without scoring a single goal; and the team couldn’t end the drought. Rayo had accumulated more than 500 minutes without scoring the opposing goal. The trip ended before the break at the Metropolitano.

The referee sent Latasa off for a double warning after two harmless elbows in separate duels. It was the 40th minute and with one less, Getafe failed to stop Rayo’s progress. Alternating quick passes from Kike, Óscar Valentin and Isi, the Vallecas team invaded the rival area and destabilized the defense. Released on the right flank of his attack, Balliu finished at the far post, Soria cleared again and Sergio Camello made it 0-1 after taking the position from Gastón Álvarez.

Greenwood, lost in translation

Camello made it 0-2 a few minutes after the restart. He took advantage of the magnificent body of Randy Nteka, who had just come on and found himself with a rain ball. A 60-meter passage that seemed to have no destination caused chaos. The Frenchman unbalanced Djené, attracted Gastón Álvarez and left Camello alone, who dribbled past the goalkeeper with his right foot and scored the last goal with his left foot. “It’s good to start the year like this,” Camello said after the match, “more at the Metropolitano, which has been my home for so long.”

Getafe were eliminated when Jorge Figueroa Vázquez sent off Greenwood for protesting a foul to the voice of ““What is this mess.” If the Premier judges ejected all players using this expression, the English championship would be closed. José Bordalás explained it after the match: “He only told him ‘don’t fuck with me“In no way did he insult him.” The Sevillian judge felt insulted. He then showed Damián Suárez the red card for also protesting, but then there was nothing left to contest in Getafense’s strange trip to the Metropolitano.

You can follow EL PAÍS Deportes in Facebook And Xor sign up here to receive our weekly newsletter.